This gallery contains 8 photos.
Burton Arnold Thomas (1809-1880) of Sand Bank, Renssalaer County, NY, designed the Riverside Cemetery of Oswego in 1855 in the ’garden style”, a romantic kind of landscape which had become popular in the first half of the nineteenth century.
The park-like setting contrasted sharply to earlier Oswego cemeteries, the first lying west of Fort Oswego in the 1797 plan of Oswego Village, then later cemeteries located where Kingsford Park and Fitzhugh Park Schools are located today.
The Kingsford Cemetery, opened in 1828, received bodies from the old lake shore cemetery and gradually filled as the mid-century mark approached. The Fitzhugh site, opened in 1830, also filled at about the same time. Continue reading