Welcome. On behalf of Mayor Thomas W. Gillen and the City Historian Advisory Board, we welcome you to our new website. It is designed to help accomplish our mission which is essentially:
1) To identify primary materials relating to the history of the city as well as its environs, including the official public records of the City of Oswego, which are under the care of the City Clerk
2) Preserve official public records and the writings of historians and interested citizens, covering more than three centuries of existence of this central New York community from colonial times to the present
3) Disseminate written articles pertaining to the region’s history
4) Encourage interested citizens to participate in all of the above by furnishing them with this interactive web site where they can comment on the activities presented here and/or add their own contributions
5) Serve as a resource, a clearinghouse if you will, which will identify other institutions which offer similar services, e.g. the Oswego Public Library, the Marine Museum, the Heritage Foundation, the Oswego County Historical Society, to name a few.
Town historical societies would be welcome to participate. Hopefully, we will be able to provide links to these organization to facilitate the efforts of the various organizations.
In this way we hope to generate enthusiasm among a growing number of citizens to record for posterity the rich history our region has to offer.
Dr. Luciano J. Iorizzo
Professor of History, Emeritus, SUNY Oswego
Advisory Board: John Allen, Esq., Helen Breitbeck, Michael Goldych, Murray Gould,Tony Leotta, Robert Schell, Therea Slosek, Ron Wilson
We are indebted to Jim Enwright and Brian Bresnan, IT Advisors/Webmasters who are providing the technical assistance in this venture.