From the Editor:
We invite readers to submit articles for possible publication, focusing on material relevant to the history of the City of Oswego and its environs.
Submissions can cover economic, social, political, industry (manufacturing, commercial, shipping), education, religious or recreation. We also welcome any oral histories.
Articles should include documentation when necessary and helpful. In this regard, oral histories can stand on their own and/or be used as documentation when necessary.
- No upcoming events
Monthly Archives: January 2013
Oswego’s Harbor and Dock Commission (HDC) functioned for 32 years (1923 to 1955) before being replaced by the Port of Oswego Authority. During those years, many changes were wrought in Oswego’s harbor. Some changes were under the control of the … Continue reading →
As reported in the Oswego Daily Palladium (ODP, Jan. 22, 1924), “The Oswego Harbor and Dock Commission came into being April 14, 1923, after amendment of the City Charter, through appointment by Mayor M. P. Neal of six commissioners, who, … Continue reading →
By the middle of the 19th Century, Oswego’s port was vital to shipping, manufacturing, and transport of materials. Indeed, Oswego was one of the most important ports in the young United States (Notes from the Port, I and II). In … Continue reading →
The 1848 Charter of the City of Oswego set general rules of operation and management for the first new city in northern New York. The subsidiary document, 1848 Ordinances of the City of Oswego, defined management specificity. Chapter III of … Continue reading →
On Feb. 24, 1942 (143 years after the US Congress had declared Oswego a Port-of-Entry), John W. O’Connor, Deputy Director of US Customs in Oswego, read to the Oswego County Historical Society a paper titled “A History of the First … Continue reading →
The Port of Oswego Authority (www.portoswego.com) was created by the enactment of a NY State law in 1955. Historically, Oswego had been an American port for 159 years since 1796. Before then, this area was an indigenous village, a French … Continue reading →