From the Editor:
We invite readers to submit articles for possible publication, focusing on material relevant to the history of the City of Oswego and its environs.
Submissions can cover economic, social, political, industry (manufacturing, commercial, shipping), education, religious or recreation. We also welcome any oral histories.
Articles should include documentation when necessary and helpful. In this regard, oral histories can stand on their own and/or be used as documentation when necessary.
- No upcoming events
Category Archives: Oswego Port Authority
State Senator Henry A. Wise, (Watertown), shockingly blocked the original Oswego Port Authority Bill from being voted on in 1954, greatly arousing the ire of Oswegonians. He was chastised widely in the local press and during the fall election. After … Continue reading →
As 1954 dawned, Oswego and Albany were ready, apparently, for the legislation that would establish the new Oswego Port Authority. A completely new OswegoCity government was installed, with a new mayor, Robert Iles, and an all-new Council who supported the … Continue reading →
In 1953, ideas about forming Port Authorities were percolating in Albany and the St. Lawrence Seaway seemed to be moving forward, but Oswego was distracted by a variety of more parochial interests. Only Operation Oswego, led by attorney Hosmer Culkin, … Continue reading →
Formally initiated on April 14, 1923, the Oswego Harbor and Dock Commission (HDC) held its last meeting on July 1, 1955, five days before the new Oswego Port Authority held its first, formal meeting on July 6. During its 32 … Continue reading →
From 1914 through 1931, Oswego had 4 mayors: Thomas F. Hennessey (D, 4 yrs), John Fitzgibbons (D, 4 years), Moses Prouse Neal (R, 4 years), and Daniel H. Conway (D, 6 years). Overlapping that same 18-year period, New YorkState had … Continue reading →
Oswego’s Harbor and Dock Commission (HDC) functioned for 32 years (1923 to 1955) before being replaced by the Port of Oswego Authority. During those years, many changes were wrought in Oswego’s harbor. Some changes were under the control of the … Continue reading →
As reported in the Oswego Daily Palladium (ODP, Jan. 22, 1924), “The Oswego Harbor and Dock Commission came into being April 14, 1923, after amendment of the City Charter, through appointment by Mayor M. P. Neal of six commissioners, who, … Continue reading →