The Oxford Dictionary defines the word “gentleman” this way “A polite, gracious, or considerate man with high standards of propriety or correct behavior”. It also defines politics as “the strife of interests, masquerading as a contest of principle, the study of who gets what, why, when, where, and how. No wonder the computer couldn’t connect the two concepts. But where the computer failed, John O’Connor Conway succeeded, and he was surely one in a million. John was a very rare breed of human being indeed who could combine politics with being a gentleman. In fact, he was the very embodiment, the personification, of those two concepts and he combined them with dignity, quiet compassion, humor, tact and resourcefulness in a way that some say only a true Irish politician can do. Continue reading
….. Click here to read the tribute to John O’C. Conway Click here for a background of the Hon. John O’Connor Conway
Strategically situated on the Oswego River where it empties into Lake Ontario, the city of Oswego, New York was originally a small, frontier community that often was a battleground as the French and English forces fought to control the fur trade in colonial days. The port community provided the most economical route to and from New York City, connecting by water, the vast regions drained by the Great Lakes to the Atlantic Ocean. So important was it that even after the United States won its independence the British were slow to leave the area until 1796. Oswego was then able to proceed with its commercial development, though interrupted briefly by the War of 1812. The community’s economic growth boomed in the 1820s and 1830s. It was helped along by the building of a number of canals Continue reading
This gallery contains 8 photos.
Burton Arnold Thomas (1809-1880) of Sand Bank, Renssalaer County, NY, designed the Riverside Cemetery of Oswego in 1855 in the ’garden style”, a romantic kind of landscape which had become popular in the first half of the nineteenth century.
The park-like setting contrasted sharply to earlier Oswego cemeteries, the first lying west of Fort Oswego in the 1797 plan of Oswego Village, then later cemeteries located where Kingsford Park and Fitzhugh Park Schools are located today.
The Kingsford Cemetery, opened in 1828, received bodies from the old lake shore cemetery and gradually filled as the mid-century mark approached. The Fitzhugh site, opened in 1830, also filled at about the same time. Continue reading
By Richard F. Palmer
It is certainly refreshing to look upon the business activity prevailing in our harbor at the present time, after the usual stagnation of the winter months in all northern lake ports. The click of the mallet and caulking-iron resound on every side – the decks of the numerous vessels are manned with busy crews engaged in “fitting out,” and everything presents an aspect of business, and everybody predicts a season of prosperity. May those predictions be verified, and the approaching season redeems the losses of the past. Vessels are arriving and departing daily, and our business men are actively engaged in completing their arrangements for heavy commercial transactions.
— Oswego Commercial Times, April 3, 1860 Continue reading
The exportation of coal remained the one business index of port activity which showed consistent improvement. Certain regions in Pennsylvania enjoyed a complete monopoly of the Anthracite Coal industry, so that the source of supply was singular and not subject to change. Continue reading